Friday 29 August 2014

Analysis of - “Well, us talk and talk about God, but I'm still adrift. Trying to chase that old white man out of my head. I been so busy thinking bout him I never truly notice nothing God make. Not a blade of corn (how it do that?) not the color purple (where it come from?). Not the little wildflowers. Nothing. Now that my eyes opening, I feels like a fool.”(Nithi Harsha, 1313262)

“Oh, she say. God loves all them feelings. That's some of the best stuff God did. And when you know God loves 'em you enjoys 'em a lot more. You can just relax, go with everything that's going, and praise God by liking what you like.
God don't think it dirty? I ast.
Naw, she say. God made it. Listen, God love everything you love-- and a mess of stuff you don't. But more than anything else, God love admiration.
You saying God vain? I ast.
Naw, she say. Not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.
 
What it do when it pissed off? I ast.
Oh, it make something else. People think pleasing God is all God care about. But any fool living in the world can see it always trying to please us back.
 
Yeah? I say.
Yeah, she say. It always making little surprises and springing them on us when us least expect.
You mean it want to be loved, just like the bible say.
Yes, Celie, she say. Everything want to be loved. Us sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that trees do everything to git attention we do, except walk?
Well, us talk and talk about God, but I'm still adrift. Trying to chase that old white man out of my head. I been so busy thinking bout him I never truly notice nothing God make. Not a blade of corn (how it do that?) not the color purple (where it come from?). Not the little wildflowers. Nothing.
Now that my eyes opening, I feels like a fool. ”

 Alice Walker, The Color Purple
(Taken from - Goodreads)
Analysis
From the above said context I have taken the quote – “Well, us talk and talk about God, but I'm still adrift. Trying to chase that old white man out of my head. I been so busy thinking bout him I never truly notice nothing God make. Not a blade of corn (how it do that?) not the color purple (where it come from?). Not the little wildflowers. Nothing.
Now that my eyes opening, I feels like a fool.”
This quote has been taken from the famous book “The Colour Purple” written by Alice Walker, who is the Afro-American writer. This book was published in 1983 and has won The Pulitzer Prize in fiction and the National Book award. (Bilography)
 I have used the whole context to analyse this paragraph and give more light to it. This was used in the seventy third letter where Celie recalls this conversation with Shug, for Nettie’s understanding. Celie explains to Shug how shes stopped writing to God. To this, Shug tries to explain to Celie how to look at God, Where Celie can start believing in him all over again. Shug urges Celie to understand God and not look at the injustice only. Also Shug starts starts to explain about God and how his creations are beautiful. She says the smallest things are most beautiful but normally these things are taken for granted, or never even considered. But God created these things for us to love and by loving them we show our love to God, she talks about how god does many things in order for us to love him. Like how they dance and sing and make flower bouquets God creates nature and its beauty for love, affection and admiration. So, Shug wants Celie to think of God differently and not look at him as the old white man with beard. Shug has a completely different view of God as compared to Celie, she wants Celie to notice God in everything and everyone. Because we’ve spoken so much about God we’ve sidelined the most important characteristic, that is his “Creations”. Like the blades of corn or the colour purple. We tend to ignore the simplest of things and tend to imagine God in his form. Which is why Celie has stopped writing to him, Her previous experiences with men has created a mental block. Shug tells Celie that she does not need to reject or remove men from her life becuse of her past. Shus instead encourages her to have men friends instead of having them as more than just friends. Shug is basically trying to remove Ceelie’s notion that men are harmful and are present only for one thing and cannot be friends. Shug also tries to restore Celie’s faith in God and gives Celie a new way to look at God and worship him.




Refernces
Biography- http://alicewalkersgarden.com/

Nithi Harsha K
1313262
2nd PSEng

                                                                                                                                                    



No comments:

Post a Comment